Most people think ‘yuck’ when they are asked to do a stool test. Even though it does seem a bit strange you can find out just so much information from that test. There are also a variety of different tests varying in depth and cost. I prefer the CDSA with parasitology x 3. Yes it is the most expensive, but for an initial test it is good to get the most information.
In a nutshell it includes:
- Levels of beneficial bacteria
- Levels of imbalanced bacteria
- Levels of bacteria that is causing dysbiosis in the gut
- Yeast both cultured and under the microscope
- For the dysbiotic bacteria, the bacteria is cultured and various treatments given to see what it responds to
- How the fibre is being broken down in your large intestine
- Any blood in the stool
- Indicators of insufficent digestion of proteins, fats, fibre and carbohydrates
- Inflammation particularly IBD and IBS
- Immune system defence
Not quite as simple as any bad bugs in your poo, but a whole lot of information about the health of your digestion.
Image courtesy of MisterGC at FreeDigitalPhotos.net